Posted on Wednesday, August 2nd, 2017 at 7:37 am
If you are facing the uphill battle of filing a personal injury claim, you’ll want to hire San Antonio injury lawyers to get the compensation you deserve.
In this article, we’re covering what qualifies as a personal injury case, what a personal injury lawyer does, and how to choose the right injury lawyer for you.
Read on to find out what personal injury lawyers can do for you.
What Constitutes a Personal Injury Case?
Were you were injured in a car accident, bitten by a dog, assaulted, or perhaps a slip and fall?
A personal injury case can be these or any other scenario in which you sustained serious harm at the negligence or fault of another person or business.
You may remember the recent high profile personal injury case of David Dao. He is the United Airlines passenger who was violently dragged off the plane by airline officials.
Mr. Dao sustained injuries to the nose, teeth, and a concussion. Disturbing photos and videos of the incident when viral. The case was quickly settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.
You may also recall the controversial case of Stella Liebeck. Ms. Liebeck was the 79-year-old woman who was severely burned by McDonald’s scorching coffee in 1992.
She required two years of medical treatment for the coffee that spilled in her lap and paid over $10,000 in medical bills. The jury suggested a reward of $2.7 million, which was based upon two days of McDonald’s coffee sales. This case became a media frenzy, and the judge eventually reduced the settlement to about $500,000.
The case is used in many personal injury cases as a litmus test for jury selection. This can help to see if the potential jurors are open to discovering the facts rather than the frenzy.
These are just two cases in the estimated hundreds of thousands of personal injury claims that are filed in the United States each year.
These two examples perfectly indicate why you need injury lawyers to go to bat for you. The legal field is immensely complicated and requires experience and expertise to navigate.
Why You Need San Antonio Injury Lawyers
The harsh reality is that insurance companies will do everything in their power to not pay out the claim. That is why personal injury lawyer for you are the only option when it comes to a serious accident.
Injury lawyers will do the following for you:
- Fight to recover the damages. Damages include medical bills, compensation for leave from work, punitive damages, and more.
- Determine and prove negligence of the defendant.
- Investigate if there was gross neglect in your case. An example of gross negligence is if the driver that hit you was intoxicated or under the influence of drugs.
- Investigate if the defendant or claimant was on the job. Companies carry personal liability insurance, typically to a much greater amount than individuals. This could mean a higher settlement as well as a more complicated legal battle.
- Lawyers will know what vital facts to prove, and how to prove them effectively.
- Experience and expertise is required to negotiate a fair settlement with the most benefit you are entitled to receive.
- Lawyers have the means and knowledge to meet crucial deadlines. For example, the statute of limitations for personal injury in Texas is only two years. In the legal world, that’s not a very long time, so San Antonio injury lawyers will understand the need to beat this deadline.
- Prevent the removal of your case to federal court, which statistically favors defendants, not claimants. This is a commonly attempted tactic used by defendants to delay the case and even swing the case in their favor.
- More than anything, you’ll want to hire injury lawyer for you to deal with the other side.
Your personal injury lawyer will understand the traumatic nature of your injuries. This includes both physical injuries and emotional ones due to the drama of a legal claim. The lawyers on the other side may not have the same empathy, so you definitely will want a representative to deal with them on your behalf.
How To Find the Right Injury Lawyer for You
If you believe you have a case, the next step is to contact an experienced lawyer for a free consultation.
In the consultation, you can expect to be asked many details about your potential claim, to see if you have a case. Gather information on the details of the accident including the time of day, the number of people involved, the location, etc.
Also, provide the lawyer with information on the injury or injuries sustained. This includes medical bills and any other relevant information.
Remember that you need to feel comfortable with the injury lawyer for you. The consultation is a two-way interview.
Most importantly, it needs to be determined if you have a case. Also, keep in mind that you are hiring this lawyer to represent your best interests and you must feel that you are in the best possible hands.
Want to move forward with a personal injury claim? Patino law firm is here to help.
Dr. Louis Patino is uniquely qualified to handle personal injury cases due to his background in both the legal and medical fields.
A deep understanding of the medical aspect of personal injury claims will help him prosecute your case proficiently.
Patino Law Firm charges no legal fees until we win the claim on your behalf!
We hope this article gave you a deeper understanding of what a personal injury case entails and what personal injury lawyers can do for you.
You have the constitutional right to represent yourself in court. However, most cases are better served by an experienced lawyer who knows how to handle the court systems and the complexities of personal injury law.
If you have faced a personal injury at the fault of another person or organization, you are entitled to compensation for your losses.
Give Patino Law Firm a call today toll-free at 877-333-3333 to find out if you have a case.
If you are in any of these areas, reach out to these attorneys: